Friday, October 16, 2015


     I was looking through links posted to Free Republic and came across the article "Finding My Place In the Fight for Social Justice and Health Equitywritten by Jasmine Burton. Burton tells a story of how her professor had asked the class to line up, sided by side, at the end of the hallway. The professor then went on to instruct his students to take a step if they had books in their home, and another if their parents told them that they were loved on a daily basis, and so forth. Jasmine Burton recalls feeling alarmed and overwhelmed with guilt when she realized that she had taken quite a few steps ahead of her peers, and as a result of her emotions she questions her place in society and feels that she has no place in a fight for social justice because she is not oppressed as the others are said to be. Is it right that Jasmine was made to feel this way? Does it make her privileges responsible for the lack of privileges for others? or vice versa? 
     I am not entirely sure why this kind of experiment is carried out or why it is necessary to promote or demote any students based on their upbringing, of which they do not entirely have control. Why should Jasmine Burton or those in the same situation be made to feel that they are guilty of having a privileged upbringing? Why should the students that are left behind in the experiment be made to feel bad because of their lack of privilege. It doesn’t make sense to assume that because one’s parents tell them that they are loved or having books in the home makes one privileged. Many homes own books and the family members of that household are loving towards each other; that doesn’t mean they have money, access to healthcare, or are considered equal within society--regardless of their race or cultural backgrounds.
     What defines a privilege in a household anyway? I was brought up in a single parent household, with six siblings and not much in the way of material items such as books, nor did my mother tell me on a daily basis that she loved me. However, I would consider myself  privileged to have had a bed to sleep in and food to keep me from starving. I have never harbored any ill feelings towards anyone that may have had a more privileged background than myself. I consider it a privilege to have many opportunities available to everyone today, including: healthcare, equal opportunity employment, educational grants, welfare assistance, and much more. I believe we must stop accusing each other of social segregation  which is creating hate, and treat one another with the respect and dignity that we all deserve. We must concentrate on healing our society and progressing towards a happier future for all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment